The Master's Degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Health Research is a partnership between the National School of Public Health (NNSPH) and NOVA Medical School (NMS) with the purpose of providing those taking part with epidemiological research methodologies and knowledge in order to enable them to elaborate and develop independent epidemiological research projects.
The Master's Degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Health Research is intended for healthcare professionals and people with training or interest in healthcare, epidemiological research, or biostatistics research (doctors, biomedical technicians, nurses, nutritionists, mathematicians/statisticians, and managers, among others).
The following are goals of this Degree:
- Make participants self-sufficient in asking research questions that will have an impact on the population;
- Provide participants with knowledge on basic, advanced, and applied epidemiology to the several specialities and diseases;
- Provide knowledge on basic and advanced statistics to be applied in healthcare studies;
- Increase the joy for studying and knowledge in order to improve the care provided to patients;
- Provide knowledge on bioethics and good clinical practices;
develop a critical capacity towards published and available research outcomes;
- Improve the writing and submission of scientific articles and protocols, optimise project management and team management;
- Adapt and optimise the communication of outcomes to several types of public (scientific, media, and the general public).
It is intended for students to have acquired the following skills by the end of the Master's Degree:
- Attainment and development of methodological, scientific, and analytical knowledge
- The capacity to collect data and analyse the dynamics and complexity of research, healthcare service innovation, innovation management, and quality management
- The capacity to critically assess the practical applicability of theories, concepts, and research models in the health field
- The capacity to produce and manage research in healthcare services and to manage projects.
- The capacity to develop a creative environment within the context of health
- The capacity to develop well-argued solutions to health service research problems
This training will enable students to face new career challenges in epidemiological research, organisational leadership, project management, health communications, and the improvement of healthcare processes.
Employability in healthcare, including the pharmaceutical industry, healthcare services, consultancy, and healthcare research.
This course has been accredited by Agência de Avaliação e Acreditação do Ensino Superior (Agency for Assessment and Accreditation of Higher Education).
Prof. Pedro Aguiar (NNSPH) | Prof. Helena Canhão (NMS)
Prof. Baltazar Nunes (ENSP-NOVA) | Prof. Bruno Heleno (NMS)
Tel.+351 217 512 169
DURATION: 2 years in school [Oct 2021 - Jul 2023]
Mandatory Curricular Units
Tuesday and Thursday | 16h30 to 22h10
Optional Curricular Units
Wednesday (afternoon) and/or Saturday (morning)
APPLICATION / ADMISSION SUMMARY OF DATES
Application: 7th April - 30th June
Selection: 6th July - 14th July
Registration: Until August 5 (and after list of admissions publication)
[Will only take place if the total number of vacancies is not filled in the 1st phase]
Application: 2nd August- 1st September
Selection: 6th September - 10th September
Registration: Until September 30 (and after list of admissions publication)
Applications to the Master’s Degree in Epidemiology, Biostatistics, and Health Research take place online by filling out a form and biographical questionnaire.
Documents attesting to a university degree or equivalent and any other curricular documents deemed relevant by applicants ought to be annexed to the form.
- University degree (or equivalent)
- Knowledge of Portuguese and English (for understanding the bibliography)
Applicants shall be selected by means of a curricular analysis and may be subject to an individual interview with a selection panel brought together for this specific purpose. Interviews are expected to take place between July 6th and 9th.
This Degree must have a minimum of ten students registered and a maximum of 25 preserving the right to accept supernumerary students.
Application fee - € 51,00