The Master's Degree in Public Health aims at the development and acquisition of scientific knowledge and advanced skills for the study and research of Public Health.
For this purpose, students are intended to:
- Develop theoretical and practical scientific knowledge and aptitude that will contribute to the improvement of the population’s health and the performance of health systems and organisations on a national and international level.
- Develop the capacity for research and to contribute to the knowledge and solution of problems in nuclear Public Health areas and in multidisciplinary contexts.
- Be able to systematically and critically evaluate their practices and to produce and contribute to knowledge by taking part in research projects and studies as well as scientific teams working in the Public Health field.
- Academic career in higher education institutions, research centers and companies working in the areas of public health - epidemiology, health policies and administration, environmental and occupational health, health economics, health planning, health health promotion, among others;
- Work in the field of global health, in international, bilateral or multilateral agencies, non-governmental organizations and consultancy companies in the sector.
According to the last available data from the Universidade Nova de Lisboa Observatory for Employability (1), the employment rate for those with a master's degree from NNSPH (2) a year after completing their educational programme is 96%.
Approximately 93% of those with a Master's Degree from NNSPH would choose the same educational institution for their training and approximately 93% would choose the same degree.
(1) Data taken from the 2015 survey for students who took the 2012-2013 degrees.
(2) Master's Degree in Healthcare Management and Master’s Degree in Public Health.
Prof. Dr. Emília Nunes (Assistant Coordinator)
Tel.+351 217 512 169
|Fundamentals of Public Health||4|
|Action Strategies and Health Planning||4|
|Principles and Strategies in Health Promotion||4|
|Health Programs Based on Evidence||4|
|Health Law and Ethics||4|
|Social Research Methods in Health||4|
|Occupational and Environmental Health||4|
|Health Policy and Management||4|
|Free Curricular Units||16|
1 year (September to July)
Mandatory Curricular Units - Friday | 11h30 - 22h10 Optional Curricular Units - Wednesdays afternoon | Saturday morning.
2 to 4 years, after approval of the advisor (s) in Scientific Council.
ACTIVITIES DURING THESIS
Participation in Seminars, studies, tutorial orientation, field work and thesis development.
APPLICATION / ADMISSION SUMMARY OF DATES
Application: 6th April - 3rd July
Selection: 6th July - 9th July
Registration: Until July 28 (and after list of admissions publication)
[Will only take place if the total number of vacancies is not filled in the 1st phase] Application: 4th August- 8th September
Selection: 10th September - 11 September
Registration: Until September 28 (and after list of admissions publication)
The application is submitted online, by completing the application form, which should include attached the following documentation:
- Proof of the academic degree CV
- Letter of recommendation
- Proposal of the research topic that the candidate plans to develop (maximum of 1000 words) *
- Other curricular elements that the candidate considers relevant
* The mentioned research topic should refer to the areas developed by ENSP-NOVA teachers and in the list of referred themes for the 9th Edition of the PhD Program in Public Health, which are aligned with the areas of the Public Health Research Center (CISP).
Who can apply:
- Master’s degree or legal equivalent;
- Bachelor's degree with academic/scientific CV particularly relevant to be recognized as attesting to the capacity to attend this cycle of studies by the Scientific Council of ENSP- NOVA;
- Holders of a school, scientific or professional curriculum that is recognized as attesting to the ability to attend this cycle of studies by the ENSP-NOVA Scientific Council.
The jury is formed by 3 members, including the responsible for the areas of specialty to which the candidate applied for (or another teacher from the same area on his / her behalf) and two members of the scientific doctoral committee.
A minimum of two members will participate in the interviews; the presence of a teacher from the area of specialty is mandatory.
The Scientific Committee established the following criteria for selection:
Academic and Scientific merit (academic qualifications; classifications; participation in scientific meetings; publications; research experience; potential for progression in an academically demanding program; letter of recommendation) - 40%
Professional experience (professional positions and performances or in the associative field, in activities related to the topic of the program) - 20%
Individual Interview (ability to answer the questions asked; shown motivation) - 40%.
In the 1st phase, only candidates with a grade of 16 or higher (on a scale of 0 to 20 values) will be accepted in the selection process and candidates with a grade below 14 will not be admitted. Candidates with grades between 14 and 16 values in the 1st phase may be admitted to the 2nd phase.
Minimum: 6 registrations
Maximum: 15 registrations
There may be supernumerary vacancies.
TUITION & FEES
Application fee - €51.00
The organization, operation, activities and other aspects related to the Master in Public Health are defined in the respective Regulation.
The ENSP Master in Public Health, with such a broad and diversified curriculum, undoubtedly reinforces the quality and commitment of the professionals involved, who have greatly contributed to my personal and professional development. In addition, attending a school so oriented to scientific research but maintaining such a familiar environment, was a great experience, which I highly recommend.
I have completed the master's degree in public health at the ENSP. I chose ENSP after looking for a course in epidemiology or public health in several institutions. The reasons that guided my choice were the public recognition of the institution, the teaching staff and their quality. During my time at ENSP I was able to prove the high-quality of the institution with a very qualified faculty supported on their professional and scientific experience. I also emphasize the quality of teaching, which, through different methodologies, enhance the students' learning during the school activities. I also emphasize the relationship between teachers and students, which is one of the characteristics of the school that most affected me, due to its ethos characterized by proximity and informality, allowing students to easily approach teachers to clarify doubts, share experiences, conducting scientific projects and even dealing with bureaucratic issues. I was admitted to ENSP with great expectation and I left very satisfied, with desire to preserve the connection with the institution.
The CMSP is a course with the full scope of Public Health that allows students to make contact with fundamental knowledge for the exercise, development and research in the area. In addition to the interest and opportunity of the contents and the themes of the course, enhanced by the wealth of resources available in the ENSP, it is indispensable to mention that PBMC allows a great personal and professional growth through the interaction with other professions.
Ana Marta Moniz
The CMSP is a very complete and versatile master's degree. The curriculum allows students to choose the area with which they identify, both on the common areas, and through the wide choice of optional curricular units. Personally, I have directed my study plan for Health Policy and Management, having been able to choose disciplines such as Finance and Financial Analysis, Health Economics and Policies and International Health, with which I was able to know the state of the art of Health in Portugal and around the World. Since the classes are taught by professors who also have professional experience in the subject they are addressing, the knowledge is shared in a very practical and objective way, which is a huge help to understand the information and what is happening in reality, as well as to walk our individual path towards the future. In this school I found a spirit of very great mutual help between colleagues both from the same course as well as of other masters running in parallel. The faculty, demanding and dedicated, has always been available to help us, very open to new ideas and its implementation.
Diana Fernandes da Terra
The public health master's degree was an individual choice within the needs felt in the functions that it performed, but above all it was an essential complement to my training as a hospital specialist in the area of infectious diseases. With the inherent effort to keep clinical activity in tandem with graduate student activity, it was felt like a breath of fresh air. The new areas have boosted knowledge research and stimulated new work and research projects, constituting a challenge to leave the comfort area of my basic training. From the human point of view, the group had people with diversified formations and very different life experiences, which worked as an essential link of motivation and mutual support, that I wasn’t expecting at the beginning.