The main goal of the Course on Internal Clinical Codification Audits is for doctors to be able to carry out internal clinical codification audits.
This is a joint initiative of Administração Central do Sistema de Saúde (ACSS) and the Universidade Nova de Lisboa National School of Public Health (NNSPH) coordinated by both institutions, which qualifies for internal clinical codification audits in ICD10CM/PCS.
By the end of the course, its participants must be capable of:
- Recognising the importance of clinical codification and internal clinical codification audits within the scope of each hospital and healthcare system in various fronts.
- Knowing the auditing process and its standard benchmark in terms of theory and practice.
- Using techniques for detecting and correcting non-conformities in terms of clinical codification.
- Using tools for supporting internal clinical codification audits.
- Recognising and using behavioural, communication, and interpersonal relation skills suited to internal auditing.
- Recognising the role of medical auditors in ensuring and maintaining the quality of codified information.
- Taking on the role of internal clinical codification auditors meeting in a correct and qualified manner all inherent demands and expectations.
The Course on Internal Clinical Codification Audits is intended for all those interested who comply with all the admission criteria below:
- Codifying doctors with training in ICD-10-CM/PCS.
- Exercise the activity of clinical codification in ICD-10-CM/PCS for episodes of admission, which are at the date of the application on the Hospital Morbidity Database:
- a) For more than 12 months;
b) At least 1200 codified episodes of admission over the past 12 months.
- Basic computer skills.
This Course is jointly coordinated by NNSPH and ACSS, more precisely by Prof. Sílvia Lopes and Ms. Teresa Matias and Ms. Isabel Carvalho.
Each student ought to have their own computer means (laptop or tablet) with remote access to the institution where they work on clinical codification for use during course sessions.
- The importance and use of clinical codification and internal auditing
- The basics of internal auditing
- Types of clinical codification audits and the most frequent mistakes
- Behavioural component in internal clinical codification audits
2019 - 2020
First Edition: October 28-31 (NNSPH)
Sessions take place at the following times:
- October 28th from 2 p.m. to 5.40 p.m.
- October 29th, 30th, 31st from 9 a.m. to 5.40 p.m.
For news on the Course, particularly the dates of future editions, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NUMBER OF OPENINGS AND SELECTION CRITERIA (FIRST EDITION)
- Up to 15 students are admitted every edition.
- Up to ten replacement applications are accepted every edition.
- For applicants who fulfil the previously established admission criteria, the selection criteria will be the order of registration.
Registration method: registration shall be exclusively on line on the NNSPH website using the first edition registration form.
Deadline: proof of payment of the course burdens ought to be sent to NNSPH within the deadline indicated below. The burdens for the Course on Internal Clinical Codification Audits are € 650 (€ 15 registration fee and tuition fees are included).
Method for sending proof of payment: exclusively on line through the effective payment form (please read the information on the automatic e-mail sent after registration).
CONFIRMATION OF REGISTRATION
After filling out the registration form, all registrations are subject to confirmation from NNSPH. Non-confirmed registrations due to not submitting all required elements and/or not complying with the established admission criteria shall be automatically ruled out.
After burdens have been paid, a confirmation of registration shall be sent within five days to the e-mail address indicated on the form.
RELEVANT DATES – FIRST COURSE ON INTERNAL CLINICAL CODIFICATION AUDITS
From September 27th (10 a.m.) to October 2nd (5 p.m.)*
Deadline for payment:
Until October 16th
* Registration shall close before if there are no more openings available.
- An attendance certificate will be provided by ACSS and NNSPH to participants who have attended at least 90% of the expected schedule.
- At the end of the course, the satisfaction of participants shall be assessed for which purpose the NNSPH education quality assessment system shall be used.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Course Information Office
ACSS Clinical Codification