Student’s path after obtaining a degree is followed with special attention by the OBIPNOVA – Observatory for Professional Insertion of NOVA University of Lisbon Graduates, an initiative from the Rectory that analyses graduates from the three groups (graduates, masters and PhD’s), being planned for an observation period of ten years, starting in 2010.
Surveys are run annually, by telephone, to assess the situation in terms of the activity of individuals who graduated the previous year to the survey. Every five years, a more extensive survey is run in order to reconstitute the professional path of graduates, since obtaining the degree, five years before, up to the time of the survey.
Some information regarding the employability of ENSP-NOVA students, from the last report:
RATE OF EMPLOYABILITY
- The rate of employability of ENSP-NOVA Masters is higher than 85%.
- In what regards ENSP-NOVA ph.Ds, the professional situation and statistics ascertained hint at 100% employability for its graduates.
- The evolutionary analysis shows a reduction of the percentage of graduates attached to public administration bodies, entities that are still, however, the main employers of ENSP-NOVA graduates.
SITUATION IN THE PROFESSION
- A significant increase of “self-employed” (21% more than in the previous year) among ENSP Masters, one year after completing the course.
INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP
- Approximately 1/3 of Masters and PhD’s have some type of involvement with innovation and entrepreneurship initiatives. These activities include maintenance of pre-existing family businesses and the creation of new companies. PhD’s involved in entrepreneurial initiatives are especially geared to the creation of new products and/or services.