Graduated in Biological Sciences from Rio de Janeiro State University (1996), with a Masters degree in Public Health from the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (1999), a PhD degree in Public Health from the State University of Campinas (2003) and a Post-doctoral internship in Occupational and Environmental Health at Mount Sinai School of Medicine, USA (2012). A Senior Researcher at Sergio Arouca National School of Public Health, Oswaldo Cruz Foundation / Brazil, Dr. Peres has served as Vice-Chair of the Center for Studies on Occupational Health and Human Ecology (CESTEH / ENSP / FIOCRUZ) between 2005 and 2010 and Associate Dean of Sergio Arouca National School of Public Health (ENSP / FIOCRUZ) between 2013 and 2016.
Dr. Peres is currently a fellow researcher at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York, USA, and a Visiting Associate Professor at the National School of Public Health at the NOVA University of Lisbon (ENSP-NOVA) in Lisbon, Portugal. He also acts as a guest lecturer in courses and research projects at the Universidad de la República (Uruguay) and at the Dr. Salvador Allende School of Public Health / Universidad de Chile.
TEACHING AT ENSP-NOVA
Environmental and Occupational Health Literacy Promotion (Optional Curricular Unit).
TEACHING AT OTHER INSTITUTIONS
Professor in-charge and collaborator at eight disciplines of Graduate Programs in Public Health (at ENSP / Fiocruz) and in Dissemination of Science, Technology and Health (at COC / FIOCRUZ).
Guest lecturer in courses and research projects at the Universidad de la República (Uruguay) and at the Dr. Salvador Allende School of Public Health / Universidad de Chile.
DOCTORAL THESES MENTORING (COMPLETED)
Thais Lacerda e Silva | Health Literacy Contributions to the improvement of health education actions in Primary Care | Thesis (Doctorate in Public Health) - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, 2017
Alan Ferreira Inácio | Nicotine exposure in tobacco cultivation as a susceptibility factor to pesticide toxicity | Thesis (Doctorate in Public Health and Environment) - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, 2011.
Mariana Soares da Silva Peixoto Belo | Risk Perception of Workers and Residents from Lucas do Rio Verde / MT on the Use of Pesticides in Soybean Production | Thesis (Doctorate in Postgraduate in Public Health) - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, 2010.
Maria Lúcia Teixeira Polonio | Risk Perception of Mothers of Preschoolers in the Municipality of Mesquita, RJ, Associated with Consumption of Food Additives | Thesis (Doctorate in Public Health and Environment) - Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, 2010.
Has experience in Public Health research, focusing on Environmental and Occupational Health, with an emphasis on the following topics: occupational health, environmental health, pesticides, risk perception and communication, health literacy and scientific communication. He is currently participating in eight research projects at ENSP / FIOCRUZ and is the Coordinator of the Research Group “Risk Communication Advanced Research Group - RISCARE”, certified by the National Council for Scientific and Technological Development / CNPq of Brazil.
Publications (9 most relevant)
- Peres, Frederico ; Claudio, Luz . Fifteen years of occupational and environmental health projects support in Brazil, Chile, and Mexico: A report from Mount Sinai School of Medicine ITREOH program, 1995-2010. American Journal of Industrial Medicine (Print), v. 56, p. 29-37, 2013.
- Peres, F.; Rodrigues, Karla Meneses ; da Silva Peixoto Belo, Mariana Soares ; Moreira, J. C. ; Claudio, Luz. Design of risk communication strategies based on risk perception among farmers exposed to pesticides in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil. American Journal of Industrial Medicine (Print), v. 56, p. 77-89, 2013.
- Moreira, Josino Costa ; Peres, Frederico ; Simões, Ana Cristina ; Pignati, Wanderlei Antonio ; Dores, Eliane de Carvalho ; Vieira, Sandro Nunes ; Strüssmann, Christine ; Mott, Tamí . Contaminação de águas superficiais e de chuva por agrotóxicos em uma região do estado do Mato Grosso. Ciência e Saúde Coletiva (Impresso), v. 17, p. 1557-1568, 2012.
- Svensson, Katherine ; Ramírez, Olivia F. ; Peres, Frederico ; Barnett, Mallory ; Claudio, Luz. Socioeconomic determinants associated with willingness to participate in medical research among a diverse population. Contemporary Clinical Trials, v. 33, p. 1197-1205, 2012.
- Araújo-Pinto, Mariana de ; Peres, F. ; Moreira, J. C. . Utilização do modelo FPEEEA (OMS) para a análise dos riscos relacionados ao uso de agrotóxicos em atividades agrícolas do estado do Rio de Janeiro. Ciência e Saúde Coletiva (Impresso), v. 17, p. 1543-1555, 2012.
- Moreno, A. R. ; Cubillas, A.C. ; Guerra, A. ; Peres, F. . La comunicación de riesgos en América Latina.. In: Galvão LA; Finkelman J; Henao S. (Org.). Los determinantes ambientales y sociales de la salud. 1ed.Washington DC: Organização Pan-Americana da Saúde (OPS), 2010, v. , p. 279-300.
- Peres, Frederico.; Moreira, Josino Costa . Saúde e Ambiente em sua Relação com o Consumo de Agrotóxicos em um Pólo Agrícola do Estado do Rio de Janeiro, Brasil. Cadernos de Saúde Pública (ENSP. Impresso), v. 23, p. 5612-5621, 2007.
- Peres, Frederico.; Moreira, Josino Costa ; Rodrigues, Karla Meneses ; Claudio, Luz . Risk Perception and Communication Regarding Pesticides Use in Rural Work: a case study in Rio de Janeiro State, Brazil. International Journal of Occupational and Environmental Health, v. 12, p. 400-407, 2006.
- Peres, Frederico.; Moreira, Josino Costa . É veneno ou é remédio? Agrotóxicos, saúde e ambiente.. 1. ed. Rio de Janeiro: Editora da Fiocruz, 2003. v. 1. 384p .
Link to complete curriculum: http://lattes.cnpq.br/4674525591438065