PhD in Public Health from ENSP-NOVA, a Master and a Degree in Economics, by NOVA School of Business and Economics.
Her main research interests are inequalities in health and health behaviours, economic evaluation in health and decentralization in health.
Author of several publications in indexed scientific journals as Addiction, Journal of Public Health, Public Health, among others.
- Health Economics for the Master Course in Health Management
- Health Economics for the Master Course in Public Health
- Seminar in Public Health II, Public Health Phd Program
- Health Economics for Health Administration
- Economic Evaluation in Health, optional course
- Applied Health Economics, Public Health Phd Program and optional course
- Costs with cystic fibrosis in Portuguese Public Hospitals.
- Cost-effectiveness analysis of transcatheter aortic valve replacement.
- Health Impact Assessment: Initial phases of a pilot study in Portugal: the case of salt reduction in bread.
- Cost-benefit analysis for the construction of a new hospital.
- Enhancing the effectiveness of programs and strategies to prevent smoking by adolescents: a realist evaluation comparing seven European countries (SILNE-R, HORIZON 2020 635056)
- PrimeDep: economic analysis of an intervention targeting primary healthcare professionals
- Tackling socioeconomic inequalities in smoking: learning from natural experiments by time trend analyses and cross-national comparisons (SILNE, FP7-HEALTH-2011.3.3-1)
- Local government and public policy (Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia).
- Economic evaluation of the strategy for HIV/AIDS screening and counselling in Portugal (Alto Comissariado da Saúde /Coordenação Nacional para a Infeção VIH /SIDA)
Member of the Public Health Research Center (CISP) and the Comprehensive Health Research Center.
Author of several publications in indexed scientific journals.
- Grard A, Schreuders M, Alves J, Kinnunen JM, Richter M, Federico B, et al. Smoking beliefs across genders, a comparative analysis of seven European countries. BMC Public Health. 2019 Dec 21;19(1):1321. https://doi.org:10.1186/s12889-019-7700-6
- Lagerweij NA, Kunst AE, Mélard N, Rimpelä A, Alves J, Hoffmann L, et al. Where do teens smoke? Smoking locations of adolescents in Europe in relation to smoking bans in bars, schools and homes. Health Place. 2019 Nov;60:102213. https://doi.org:10.1016/j.healthplace.2019.10221
- Moor I, Kuipers MAG, Lorant V, Pförtner T-K, Kinnunen JM, Rathmann K et al. Inequalities in adolescent self-rated health and smoking in Europe: comparing different indicators of socioeconomic status. Journal Of Epidemiology And Community Health. 2019;73(10):963-970. https://doi.org/10.1136/jech-2018-211794
- Coban FR, Kunst AE, Van Stralen MM, Richter M, Rathmann K, Perelman J et al. Nicotine dependence among adolescents in the European Union: how many and who are affected? Journal of public health. 2018 Sep 6. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdy136
- Perelman J, Alves J, Pfoertner TK, Moor I, Federico B, Kuipers MAG et al. The association between personal income and smoking among adolescents: A study in six European cities. 2017;112(12):2248-2256. https://doi.org/10.1111/add.13930
- Lorant V, Rojas VS, Robert P-O, Kinnunen JM, Kuipers MAG, Moor I, et al. Social network and inequalities in smoking amongst school-aged adolescents in six European countries. Int J Public Health. 2017 Jan 12;62(1):53–62. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00038-016-0830-z
- Alves J, Perelman J, Soto-Rojas V, Richter M, Rimpelä A, Loureiro I et al. The role of parental smoking on adolescent smoking and its social patterning: a cross-sectional survey in six European cities. Journal of public health (Oxford, England). 2017;39(2):339. https://doi.org/10.1093/pubmed/fdw040
- Lorant V, Soto Rojas V, Bécares L, Kinnunen JM, Kuipers MAG, Moor I et al. A social network analysis of substance use among immigrant adolescents in six European cities. Social science & medicine. 2016 Nov 1;169:58-65. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.socscimed.2016.09.031
- Cristina A, Alves J, Perelman J. Desigualdades socioeconómicas no tabagismo em jovens dos 15 aos 17 anos. Revista Portuguesa de Saúde Pública. 2016 Jan 1;34(1):69-76. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rpsp.2015.09.002
- Alves J, Nunes C, Perelman J. Socio-economic inequalities in tobacco-related diseases in Portugal: an ecological approach. Public Health. 2016 Jan;130:36-42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.puhe.2015.08.008
- El-Amin SET, Kinnunen JM, Ollila H, Helminen M, Alves J, Lindfors P et al. Transmission of smoking across three generations in Finland. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2015 Dec 24;13(1):74. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph13010074
- Alves J, Kunst AE, Perelman J. Evolution of socioeconomic inequalities in smoking: results from the Portuguese national health interview surveys. BMC Public Health. 2015 Mar 31;15(1). 311. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-015-1664-y
- Lorant V, Soto VE, Ramalho Alves JR, Federico B, Kinnunen J, Kuipers M et al. Smoking in school-aged adolescents: design of a social network survey in six European countries. Bmc Research Notes. 2015;8(1). 91. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13104-015-1041-z
- Member of Health Technology Assessment Comission (CATS-INFARMED).
- Expert for the Portuguese National Health Council.
- Member of the NOVA Health Economics & Management Knowledge Center.
- Peer review activity for indexed scientific journals.