• Deputy Director of NOVA-NSPH
• Assistant Professor with Aggregation of the Health Systems’ Policies and Management Department
• Member of Scientific Council, Pedagogic Council and Executive Board of NOVA-NSPH
• Responsible for the Internal Quality of NOVA-NSPH
• Aggregation in Public Health, 2019, NOVA-NSPH
• PhD in Public Health, 2006-2011, NOVA-NSPH
• Post-Graduation in Hospital Administration, 2001-2003, NOVA-NSPH
• Course of Management in Healthcare Units, 2000, Universidade Católica Portuguesa
• Graduation in Corporate Management, 1995-2000, Universidade de Évora.
- Resource Management – Master in Health Management
- Health Financing and Financial Analysis – Pós-Graduation in Hospital Administration
- Health Financing and Financial Analysis – Master in Health Management
- Cost Methods in Healthcare Organizations (Optional)
- Audit in Healthcare (Optional)
- Public Health Seminar II - Phd Program in Public Health
- Health Policy and Management – Master in Public Health
- Health Services Organization and Management – Specialization Course in Public Health
- Health Policy and Health Systems - Specialization Course in Public Health
- Organization of the Health System – Master in Management of Clinical Research (NOVA Medical School/ University of Aveiro/ NOVAIMS)
Marques AP. | Essays on the impact of vision impairment in Portugal. PhD in Public Health | NOVA-NSPH
Mendes C. | Self-care programs in oncology: A guided internet-delivered individually tailored ACT-influenced cognitive behavioural intervention to Improve psychosocial outcomes in breast cancer survivors (INNOVBC) | Phoenix Erasmus Mundus – Joint Doctoral Programme Dynamics of Health and Welfare. Universidade de Évora, L’Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales Paris, Linkoping University, NOVA-NSPH.
Moita B. | Geographical and time-based variation in Portuguese hospitalizations for cardiovascular diseases. | PhD in Public Health. NOVA-NSPH
Rocha JV. | Hospitalizations for Ambulatory Care-Sensitive Conditions in Brazil and Portugal: A Comparative Study. | Phoenix Erasmus Mundus – Joint Doctoral Programme Dynamics of Health and Welfare. Universidade de Évora, L’Ecole des Hautes Etudes en Sciences Sociales Paris, Linkoping University, NOVA-NSPH.
Sarmento J. | Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions in Portugal: use and validation | PhD in Public Health, NOVA-NSPH.
Supervision of more than 60 master thesis in Health Management and field works of Hospital Administration.
Member of Executive Board of the Public Health Research Center
Research interests includes the study of Integrated Care, Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions, Healthcare Financing and.Cost Methods in Health Organizations.
Participation in research projects (25), as PI or researcher, financed by several institutions.
- Joint Action for Integrated Care – ACSS (2019-2020)
- Definition of maternity services in Centro Hospitalar e Universitário de Coimbra – CHUC (2019)
- The patient perspective of Ambulatory Care Sensitive Conditions – World Health Organization (2018-2019)
- Redesign healthcare financing in Azores Region.- Saudaçor (2017-2019)
- Potential multiple avoidable admissions – NOVA Saúde (2017-2018)
- The impact of debt crisis in healthcare system – Pfizer (2015)
- Impact of creating Local Health Units in Portugal - Calouste Gulbenkian,Foundation (2015-2018)
- Redesign healthcare financing of Long term care network – ACSS (2014-2015)
- Moita B, Marques A, Camacho A, Neves P, Santana R. One-year rehospitalisations for congestive heart failure in Portuguese NHS hospitals: a multilevel approach on patterns of use and contributing factors. BMJ Open, 2019 http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2019-031346
- Rocha J, Nunes C, Santana R.Avoidable hospitalizations in Brazil and Portugal: Identifying and comparing critical areas through spatial analysis PLOS One July 12, 2019 https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0219262
- Marques AP, Macedo AF. Ramos P, Moreno L, Butt T, Rubin G, Santana R. Productivity losses and their explanatory factors amongst people with impaired vision. Ophthalmic Epidemiology, 2019. https://doi.org/10.1080/09286586.2019.1632904
- Santos CM, Weiderpass E, Santana R, Andersson G. A guided internet-delivered individually-tailored ACT-influenced cognitive behavioural intervention to improve psychosocial outcomes in breast cancer survivors (iNNOVBC): Study protocol Internet Interventions. 2019 17 100236. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.invent.2019.01.004
- Ramos, P, Santana R, Moreno L, Marques AP, Freitas C, Rocha-Sousa A, Macedo AF. Predicting participation of people with impaired vision in epidemiological studies.BMC Ophthalmology, 2018 18:236. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12886-018-0889-9
- Marques AP, Macedo AF, Hernandez-Moreno L, Ramos PL, Butt T, Rubin G, Santana R.The use of informal care by people with vision impairment. PLoS ONE, 2018 13(6): e0198631. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0198631
- Santana R, Marques A.P, Lopes S, Boto P, Telles J.L, Félix S, Mestre, R Matos R, Moita B. A Influência das Características dos Prestadores e dos Utentes no Consumo de Recursos em Unidades de Cuidados Continuados Port J Public Health, 2017.
- Lopes S, Fernandes O, Moita B, Sarmento J, Marques AP, Santana R. Can vertical integration reduce hospital admissions? A diference in diference method. Medical Care 55: 5 May 2017.
- Macedo A, Ramos P, Hernandez-Moreno L, Cima J, Baptista A, Marques A, Massof R, Santana R. Visual and health outcomes, measured with the activity inventory and the EQ-5D, in visual impairment. Acta Ophtalmologica Version of Record online: 2017 | DOI: 10.1111/aos.13430
- Dantas I, Santana R, Sarmento J, Aguiar P. Impact of multiple chronic conditions on hospitalizations for ambulatory care sensitive conditions. BMC Health Serv Res. 2016; 16: 348. Published online 2016 Aug 4. doi: 10.1186/s12913-016-1584-2
- Tello J, Santana R, Sarmento J, Gonçalves R, Lourenço A, Mosca I, Satylganova A, Ambulatory care sensitive conditions in Portugal.Copenhagen: Regional Office for Europe. World Health Organization. Escola Nacional de Saúde Pública. Universidade Nova de Lisboa; 2016.
- Santana R, Marques AP. A integração vertical de cuidados de saúde. Lisboa: Escola Nacional de Saúde Pública, Universidade Nova de Lisboa; 2016. ISBN: 978-972-97492-3-0. (Obras Avulsas; 9).
- Moita B, Robalo J, Duarte A, Santana R. A utilização de fontes administrativas de dados como forma de medição a adesão terapêutica aos antagonistas de angiotesina. Revista Portuguesa de Saúde Pública. 2016: doi:10.1016/j.rpsp.2016.02.001.
Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rui_Santana
- Member of Steering Committee - The Heart Failure Policy Network – Instituto de Saúde da Universidade Católica Portuguesa
- Member of several Technical Groups of the Ministry of Health
- Consultant of the World Bank for Public Expenditure Reviews and Public Expenditure Tracking Surveys
- Member of research networks: Unit for Monitoring Public Policies, Vision Impairment Study Group, Portuguese Association for Integrated Care.
- Expert of the Portuguese Association of Hospital Managers (Executive Programs and Integrated Care Group)
- President of the Council Fiscal of the Portuguese Association for Health Promotion in Public Health.
- Associate Editor of the Portuguese Journal of Public Health
- Reviewer of scientific journals