Medical degree from the School of Medicine of the University of Lisbon.
Masters in Health Services Management from the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Post-graduate course in Hospital Administration from the NOVA National School of Public Health, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa.
PhD in Health Policy and Management from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.
Coordinator of the Masters Program in Health Care Management, and responsible for the following curricular units:
- Quality in health care, Masters Program in Health Care Management;
- Quality Management, Post-graduate course in Hospital Administration;
- Seminars in Public Health II, PhD in Public Health
Sporadic participation in other units, namely to the Public Health residents and in optional units.
Sandra Logrado de Figueiredo | Strategy and strategic capacity of the Executive Boards of Portuguese public hospitals | PhD in Public Health | ENSP-NOVA | Joint supervision with Paulo Moreira
Isabel Pulido Valente | The elderly and the utilization of health care in the public hospitals in the metropolitan area of Lisbon: suggesting a model of care for the elderly | PhD in Public Health | ENSP-NOVA | Joint supervision with Maria Amália Botelho.
Ruben Barreto | Effectiveness of hyperbaric oxygen therapy in the treatment of diabetic foot ulcers | PhD in Public Health | ENSP-NOVA.
Coordination and/or collaboration in different research projects, national and international, in areas including care pathways, chronic disease management, vaccine cost-effectiveness, primary care financing and the restructuring of hospital networks.
Co-author of articles in peer-reviewed national and international journals, book chapters, and communications in national and international conferences, in areas including care pathways, risk adjustment, predictive models, case management, accreditation, medical practice variability and long-term care.
Member of the Public Health Research Centre (PHRC).
- Panella M, Seys D, Sermeus W, Bruyneel L, Lodewijckx C, Deneckere S, Sermon A, Nijs S, Boto P, Vanhaecht K. Minimal impact of a care pathway for geriatric hip fracture patients. Injury. 2018 Aug;49(8):1581-1586. doi: 10.1016/j.injury.2018.06.005. Epub 2018 Jun 4.
- Seys D, Sermon A, Sermeus W, Panella M, Bruyneel L, Boto P, Vanhaecht K. Recommended care received by geriatric hip fracture patients: where are we now and where are we heading? Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2018 Apr 27. doi: 10.1007/s00402-018-2939-4. [Epub ahead of print]
- Seys D, Bruyneel L, Decramer M, Lodewijckx C, Panella M, Sermeus W, Boto P, Vanhaecht K (2017). An International Study of Adherence to Guidelines for Patients Hospitalised with a COPD Exacerbation. 2017 Apr;14(2):156-163. doi: 10.1080/15412555.2016.1257599. Epub 2016 Dec 20.
- Rui Santana, Ana Patrícia Marques, Sílvia Lopes, Paulo Boto, José Luis Telles, Sónia Félix, Ricardo Mestre, Rosa Matos, Bruno Moita (2017). A Influência das Características dos Prestadores e dos Utentes no Consumo de Recursos em Unidades de Cuidados Continuados. Port J Public Health. October 2017. DOI 10.1159/000479756.
- Vanhaecht K, Lodewijckx C, Sermeus W, Decramer M, Deneckere S, Leigheb F, Boto P, Kul S, Seys D, Panella M (2016). Impact of a care pathway for COPD on adherence to guidelines and hospital readmission: a cluster randomized trial. Int J Chron Obstruct Pulmon Dis. 2016 Nov 23;11: 2897-2908. eCollection 2016.
- Carinci, , K. Van Gool, , J. Mainz, , J. Veillard, , E. C. Pichora, , J. M. Januel, , I. Arispe, S. M. Kim, , N.S. Klazinga, M. Haelterman, P. Meeus, J. Lacroix, J. Cenek, C.R. Barsøe, K. Grau, L. Rooväli, P. Hämaläinen, V. Garcia, C. Grenier, B. Le Cossec, M. Marbach, C. Scheidt-Nave, D. Mulholland, A. Ekka-Zohar, T. Kumakawa, E. Okamoto, E.H. Byeon, K.H. Kim, C.S. Park, J. Lepiksone, F. Berthet, C. Margue, M. Van Den Berg, A.K. Lindahl, H. Narbuvold, E. Dudzik-Urbaniak, P. Boto, E.K. Lim, W.Y. Mok, R. Pribakovic, M. A. Gogorcena, M. Aggestam, M. Köster, M. Lawrence, M. Langenegger, K. Fehst, S. Yilmaz, K. Everard, V. Raleigh; Towards actionable international comparisons of health system performance: expert revision of the OECD framework and quality indicators, International Journal for Quality in Health Care, Volume 27, Issue 2, 1 April 2015, Pages 137–146, https://doi.org/10.1093/intqhc/mzv004
- Portugal R, Fonseca RC, Amaral F, relatores. Grupo de Trabalho “Um Futuro para a Saúde”, Miguel JP, presidente, Fernandes AC, Almeida MC, Bento MC, Loureiro MI, Gouveia M, Boto P, Mascarenhas R e Ramos V. Colaboradores: Uva AS, Furtado C, Perelman J, Nicolau LB, Heitor MJ, Almeira M, Miranda N, Nicola P e Almeida S. Serviços de saúde & saúde pública em Portugal: propostas para o reforço da saúde pública em Portugal. Lisboa: Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian; 2015. ISBN 978-989-8807-11-3.
- Mateus, C, Joaquim I, Nunes C, Boto P, Campos L. Portugal: geographic variations in health care. In: OECD. Geographic variations in health care: what do we know and what can be done to improve health system performance? Paris: OECD Publishing; 2014. pp. 317-342. (OECD Health Policy Studies). doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/9789264216594-en.
Assistant to the State Secretary for Health (2011-2015).
Consultant of the Directorate-General for Health, in the field of quality in health care.
Representative of the Directorate-General for Health in the OECD’s Health Care Quality Indicators project (2011-2015).
Member of the National Council for Quality in Health Care (2009-2015).